Myopia control

If you have a child who has myopia, also called nearsightedness, it often gets worse quickly while they are young. By the time a child with myopia reaches adulthood, their vision prescription will generally reach a stable level. Until then, their myopia can get worse each year. There is no way to reverse myopia without surgery, but there are ways to slow the progression of the condition or to even stop it completely.

There are two ways that a pediatric eye doctor can engage in myopia treatment to try to control it. Your child needs a pediatric eye exam every year to have their myopia monitored and to have a fresh prescription each year. If you have concerns about your child’s vision and live in or around Davie, contact Krisel Eye Care to schedule an appointment with one of our optometrists. 


Atropine Eye Drops

A pediatric eye doctor can help your child with myopia by using atropine eye drops. These are medicated drops that have to be placed in the eyes each night when it's time for your child to go to bed. These drops, when used consistently, can slow down the progression of myopia or stop its progression completely. This allows the child to not have myopia to the degree that they would without the eye drops. It can take a little while for children to get used to it as a part of their nightly routine. Once they get used to it, it should be simple to apply the eye drops.


Another way that a pediatric eye doctor can help with myopia is to prescribe a set of ortho-k contact lenses for your child. These are a special type of contact lenses that are worn only at night. They are put in at night when it's bedtime and they are worn while your child is sleeping. These contacts put a small amount of pressure on the eyes to make them more round in shape.

This can correct myopia as long as they are worn every night and the child will not have to wear their eyeglasses the next day. This is a benefit that is only temporary though, and if they are no longer worn, the eyes will revert to their original shape. These contacts can also stop or slow down the wearer's myopia progression. 

Get Myopia Treatment in Davie, FL

To check on the progression of your child’s myopia, your child will need a pediatric eye exam from an optometrist. Call Krisel Eye Care today at (954) 961-1509 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form.

Contact Us

We look forward to hearing from you